Monday, January 11, 2016

Chili Pepper Madness at Dim Sum House

   I was excited to try out Dim Sum House in Morrisville, as a friend of mine has been talking about it forever. She's vegetarian (pescatarian really) so I'll call her Veg Head from here on. Anyhow, so Veg Head and I went to Dim Sum House the other night where you have a choice of ordering an entree off of the menu or checking what dim sum (small plates, kind of like little appetizers) you would like on a paper list, much like at some sushi restaurants. I couldn't decide (as is frequently the case) so I chose to do an entree and a dim sum.  Veg. Head decided likewise.
    Upon entering the restaurant I noted that all the customers were Chinese, which as I'm sure you know is a good sign that the food is both authentic and, if you like authentic anyway, then good.  The authenticity of this restaurant was reiterated when I tried to order my szechuan chicken with "white meat."  This request was not understood in the least.  I tried repeating, I tried saying "chicken breast," and some how eventually it got through.  When I was in China dark meat prevailed and I used to request the "chest of the chicken," which seemed to be better understood, although I generally still didn't get it

Kung Pao Chicken
    I asked if the Szechuan chicken had vegetables (as it generally does,) and was told it didn't.   So I went for a dish that I had not only seen and recognized in China (unlike most of the Americanized Chinese we are served in the States) but also had loved.  I ordered the Kung Pao chicken, and it did not come out as I had expected. This unfortunately did not have any vegetables either. Out came a mound, a mound I tell you, of dried chilies with some pieces of chicken (yes, white meat) and peanuts. The sheer quantity of chilies I was not prepared for.  They were not as hot as I feared they might be, but the constant consumption of them still made my nose run. The dried chilies were kind of difficult to chew, so most of them went to waste. They would have been much more preferable finely ground in a sauce.  There wasn't much sauce to the dish just the chilis, some oil, and a very light soy concoction. Nothing you could mix in with your rice in other words.
The leftover chili peppers after I'd eaten out all the chicken and peanuts
Shrimp with Soybeans 

Tofu with Shrimp
    Veg head ordered Shrimp with soybeans, which came out in a clear somewhat garlicy, moo goo gai pan sort of sauce with cubed carrots and peas rather than soybeans.  She liked it, I thought it was just alright. She does tend to be a little easier to please than I am, but most people probably are!
As for the dim sum, I was boring and ordered the pork egg rolls, which I wished she could have helped me eat as the order came with three. They were definitely not your typical China Wok sort of egg rolls, they were freshly made with just a little bit of Chinese greens and ground pork inside. They were pretty good, but ideally I would have liked more vegetables since my meal as a whole was definitively lacking.  Veg head ordered the shrimp and tofu dim sum, which were made up of three square of tofu with a shrimp on top of each, fried and covered with an incredibly bland sauce.  The consistency of the tofu was good, but with that sauce the dish was largely tasteless.
Pork egg rolls
     My consensus is that I would only go here is you are  positive that you want Chinese food that is not Americanized.  I would come back in the future, but either get something
vegetable based from the vegetarian menu, or only to try a
sampling of of dim sum from the dim sum menu.


  Dim Sum House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment