Sunday, January 17, 2016

Judging a Place By Their Nachos

     I have often joked that I judge a place by their nachos. If they can elevate something as simple (though admittedly very tasty) as nachos into something worth not only remarking upon, but something worth coming back for again and again, then that says that place has something going for it.  Previously, my go to place for nachos was the burger and pizza bar Chow off of Creedmoor Rd. in Raleigh.  Nachos are the perfect accompaniment to their weekly trivia matches, and their nachos fit the bill. I was fairly obsessed with their spinach and artichoke nachos.  They were amazing, kind of like a cheesy gooey spinach artichoke dip crossed with queso, topped with diced tomatoes all supported by freshly fried flaky flour tortilla chips.  Sadly, they took these off the menu. I contented myself by ordering their beef, black bean, queso, jalapeno and sour cream nachos which were still very good. Recently however, they have axed making their own flour tortilla chips and now use standard corn tortilla chips.  What a let down.  They are still decent, but have nothing to distinguish them.
    The Raleigh Times has good barbecue pork nachos, they offer chicken too, but go for the pork.
The nachos have black beans, cilantro, jalapenos,guacamole, pico and a melted cheddar jack blend.
I used to visit The Village Draft House weekly for team trivia and ordered their hearty nachos with chili fairly religiously. Sadly, they have changed their nachos too, they are now pork carnitas and beer cheese. I tend to prefer nachos with a good queso, for these Calavera the empanada restaurant downtown, has a great offering. Apparently, Calavera does not only feature empanadas, but they also have pretty fantastic nachos. They have veggie and ancho pork versions both with black beans, tomato, jalapenos, scallions, sour cream, queso fundido and...rice?  I feel like the rice is carb overkill and I order them without. I also recommend paying the extra couple bucks to add their great guacamole, which I really feel like should be included.
Mexican Quesadillas
Chopped Salad with Shrimp
Nachos
    This is really all lead up to say that my friend,let's call her Gluten Free, knowing my great affinity for nachos, recommended Totopos Street Food and Tequila in Cary. I recently went there for lunch with Gluten Free, her man, and Veg Head, and we quickly realized we were in an old converted Chilis Restaurant.  I won't hold that against them.  When we got there the waitress let us know that everything they served was made from scratch, from the tortillas to the fresh juices in the margaritas,and you could definitely tell.  Both Gluten Free and I ordered the nachos; she said she couldn't wait to have them again after her last time. Her man ordered the Mexican style quesadillas, and Veg Head went healthy and ordered the chopped salad with shrimp. The chips and salsa that preceded our meal were good but not remarkable. The salsa was a bit too chunky for my taste. However when our entrees came out, WOW! I had found my new favorite nachos! These are not your run of the mill, the layers of flavor were outstanding.  The housemade corn tortillas were piled high with chicken tinga, refried black beans, salsa, both queso dip and queso fresco, onion, guacamole, and crema dulce.  This may sound fairly standard, but they are not. The chicken had a very flavorful savory sauce, the queso added saltiness and the crema dulce rounded it all out with a hint of sweetness.  Veg Head enjoyed her salad topped with corn, black beans, onions, tomatoes,avocado, cilantro, mandarin orange wedges, panela cheese and a Jamaica vinaigrette. I tried it, and if I could ever go there and tear myself away from the nachos I would get it, but this is highly unlikely,maybe the smaller version as a side...  The Mexican quesadillas were three blue corn tortillas folded in half and filled with cheese and either poblano peppers, chicken tinga, and chicharron (pork rinds.) These came with rice and apparently very good black beans. Gluten Free's man didn't really comment one way or the other, but he tends to be a man of few words. If you are looking for the best nachos I've found, or for that matter a fresh take on Mexican cuisine, visit Totopos.  I will definitely be back for dinner so I can try one of the fresh margaritas from their list!

Totopos Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment